Friday, May 6, 2011

Book review: The Help

I ordered this book from Amazon a couple of weeks ago after reading all the great reviews about it.  It's set in 1960's Mississippi and tells the story of 3 women, two black maids and a young white woman, and how their lives intertwined.  The book alternated between all three points of view.

Although I thought at times this book suffered a little bit from "Dances with Wolves" syndrome, it redeemed itself at the end.  There are good and bad people on both sides.  It also shows you how times have changed and what once was considered acceptable speech/behavior in terms of race relations has definitely changed. 

This is a super read and I raced through the book.  At the same time, I hated for it to end.  I so identified with the characters that I wanted to see what happened to them next.  It's a definite thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment