Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Joy of Reading...

All my life I have loved reading.  There is no feeling like getting lost in a book and not wanting to do anything except read until you get the to end.  And if it's a good book, there is a sense of loss at the end--you want to follow the characters, find out what happens to them next, how their lives play out. 

I have always read to the kids and have tried to instill a love of reading in them as well.  With Wii's,  DS's, and computers to compete with their time, I feel it's a real struggle sometimes.  Time will tell if they will love reading as much as I do. 

Last week, however, while doing our nightly routine, RMan said, "Mom, let's have some silent reading time.  You go get your book that you're reading and I'll read mine."  (Princess was already in bed).  Sounded like a winning idea to me! 

The next day, he was so pumped about it and told Princess.  That night here she came with her book, ready for silent reading time as well.  We bought special lamps that clipped on to the bunk bed and have been doing silent reading ever since. 

I have to admit, it's one of my favorite times of the day.  And hopefully we are not only reading, but making good memories as well.  Great idea R!!




1 comment: