Saturday, February 26, 2011

Book Review: Heaven is for Real

I was first told of this book at the beauty shop of all places.  The description piqued my interest so I picked it up at Walmart.  I'm so glad I did! 

This non-fiction book tells the story of Colton Burpo, the son of a Wesleyan pastor and his wife.  At the age of 3, he had a ruptured appendix that the doctors did not diagnose.  For five days, he grew sicker and sicker.  He truly was at death's door.  Finally, he was correctly diagnosed and emergency surgery was done.

Fortunately, he recovered.  However, the real story begins there.  For the next two or three years, Colton began talking about Heaven to his parents.  He talked about things that he couldn't have known, such as seeing his father alone praying for him during surgery and his mother on the phone praying for him.  Another thing he talked about was meeting his "other" sister.  His mother had a miscarriage before he was born and he told of meeting this sister in Heaven.  He had no idea that his mother had miscarried. 

This book really made me think about what I believe.  I often talk about what I believe, talking about Heaven and Jesus, but do I really believe?  Do I really live my life to reflect that belief?  Do I share Jesus with others?  Do I have that passion? 

This is a great read and will change the way you think about Jesus and Heaven.  It will also leave you wanting more.  I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment